Charlie Schelin came to Brandon in 1940, when he purchased Nick Schwartz's Store, which was located on the site of the present Brandon City Office at 115 East Front St. In 1943, in the middle of the night, the Courrier's Restaurant, which was next door to Charlie's, caught on fire. It was apparent that Charlie's store was in grave danger, so many of the townspeople rushed to help him move his merchandise to a store in the next block. That night his original store was completely destroyed by fire. His new store, a building owned by Martha Hagedorn, was located on the site of the present Laundromat and Car Wash. He ran this store from 1943 - 1974 when he died.
The building was then purchased by Meadow Lane, Inc. Pat Shea ran his carpet business there for about one year.
For a time, Marcia Bolin managed the "Charlie's Place" teen center, with the help of other parent volunteers. After that, Hermanson Interiors and Gift Shop occcupied this space.
On a cold winter day, December 19, 1985 the building caught on fire and was completely destroyed. Big snow banks around the building hindered the firemen.
The people of our town have wonderful memories of Charlie Schelin and his store.